Every photo has a voice, but they don’t all speak my language. This week’s photo challenge is to share a picture taken at night. This one (not retouched except for the blog name added), was taken sometime between 4:30 and 5 a.m. overlooking the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon. We’d been driving all night, and needed a break. This was the vista that refreshed us.
I looked at many other entries (229 so far – true story!!). Some I could see but just could not hear. A few crooned, one or two shouted, many whispered; these are the fifteen I heard most clearly. For me, these were the stars of the night.
- These shots on Joy Returns inspired me to try again. I’ve never successfully photographed the moon, although I’d like to…just once in a blue moon. *groan* sorry – I had to say it.
- The photo taken from the White Tank Mountain Regional Park on Journeys with johnbo was bittersweet. I remember spending much time there with my late husband (a native Arizonan). That photo brought back very good memories.
- The photos on Eyes to Heart are as close as I’ll ever get to the dream of visiting Italy.
- The snow at night on An upturned soul whispered a welcome. Read her description – it’s is as beautiful as the photo.
- Summerfield84’s English Blog made me look twice and listen hard. Just LOOK at that reflection! It was like getting two photos for the price of one – and I do love a bargain!
- Steve Says…something I ponder often while people-watching. Where are all those people going? What are their lives like? The light around that street lamp looked like it was coming through frosted glass.
- On Exploratorius, the sand dunes and the sky – oh my! It reminded me of a fun trip to the Florence Dunes on the Oregon coast with my best friend.
- Following My Joy brought real joy to these ol’ eyes. I’ve been to Port Hueneme, but I’m not sure I’ve been to this particular beach.
- On a blog called iChristian, my favorite was the cross on the hill with the sunset on the water. It sang, “The Lord gives life its beauty, and without Him there is no life, no beauty.”
- This one on Broken Light: A Photography Collective was crisp and clear, but not what really spoke to me. The artist was watching for the sky to turn black as night approached. “But instead, it kept on lighting up and glimmering, as if the sunny skies were fighting back the night….I remember wondering how a battle could be that beautiful.” That visual intrigued me more than the photo itself.
- These were on a blog called the other pictures. I was totally amazed at the colors of the first one, and the beauty of the lightning in the second one.
- Lonely Travelog had a photo of the Eiffel Tower that was gorgeous! It reminded me of my four days there a few years ago, and how often I tried (vainly) to get a good picture. I’ll just look at this one instead and remember the fun of that trip!
- Jasper Smits beckoned me to visit Iceland. I’ve never seen the northern lights other than in photos.
- I love the desert, especially around Phoenix. These on @vannilla clearly called to me, reminding me of my days in the Southwest.
- And last but definitely not least…I found this shot on [pictures people listen to] whispering to my eyes, “Come over here and take a look.” You can just make out a person walking into the unknown, unlit path. The blog title invited me in, and the photo kept me there visiting.
I have to say, after looking at 229 entries, I came away with a much more profound respect for the WordPress team that chooses entries for Freshly Pressed. Hard choices sometimes! Which ones did you hear the most clearly?