And now I enter the baby bib world; I just finished a couple this weekend. One is for one of our missionary couples; they were blessed with their newest addition while we were away on vacation.
These look easy, don’t they? Well, for most folks who sew, they’re probably child’s play (couldn’t resist!!), but for me . . . well . . . .
Anyway, I tried them, and as the little train so aptly put it, “I think I can, I think I can; I know I can, I know I can.”
The one on the right was from a pattern I found on a site called “Craftiness Is Not Optional,” and it’s a fun one to try. The only difficulty I had with this one was making my own bias tape. Well, not really “difficulty” as much as just time-consuming. But not difficult. The real difficulty was making sure I caught both sides of the tape when I sewed it down – hence the two or three passes with the machine. 🙂
The one on the left is smaller, more for newborns I reckon. The material was an old burp cloth that I thought would be cuter as bibs – plus, I needed something more boyish, and this was it. The pattern includes a pocket, but I left it off. This pattern came from a site called “Nested.” This was the first bib I tried making; my first attempt was a dismal failure, but I learned from that and tried again. This time I used bias tape instead of sewing the front and back together and turning it, like the instructions called for. That didn’t work so well for the size I cut the first one – it made the neck piece more like a string than a neck piece, way too thin to hold the velcro closure. Oh well, that’s all part of the sewing process. This one was better, so I guess that means I’m making progress. Oh . . . wait . . . I’m making bibs.