And . . . two coats later . . . I’ve had it!
Well, I made an executive decision this weekend. I’m done with painting for awhile. I wanna sew!
I felt the urge to really push to finish the sewing room. I wanted to get it to a point that it could actually be called a sewing room. Up to now it’s been more of a catch-all/storage/eyesore type of room. But that all changed Saturday.
Hubby was wonderful. I know he’d rather use his shop and garage for things other than all that stuff from my sewing room, but he hauled it all out there and filled his space. whattaguy! He took all those glass doors and shelves – what are we going to do with those??? And there was other stuff we’d just stuck in there when we moved in a couple of months ago – like the folding table, and (MORE!!) empty storage bins, and extra folding stools/chairs, etc. He just kept moving the upright freezer over a little at a time, so he could get all that stuff in there. Yes, he has to share his space with the freezer too, since this house is so much smaller than our other one. It doesn’t fit in the house! He’s so sharing. He also had the idea for me to use my late husband’s magnet tool holder (he was an auto mechanic) to hold my scissors and so forth. He even attached it to the wall for me. Mementos are so much better when they can be put to such good use!
While taking pictures for my progress report (my name for this whole remodeling process), they really showed the stark contrast between the paint in the cabinets and the paint on the walls. Uff da! Yes, there will be another painting session in the near future. I was amazed at just how yellow those walls are. No wonder that the room always makes me look a bit sallow. It’s yellow – and I look terrible in yellow! (Makes me sing, “They call me Sallow Yellow”) But we ran out of paint, and I ran out of patience, all at about the same time.
Ah, but it’s wonderful to sit down at the sewing machine and make something! I’d found a great idea on a blog I follow (Feathered Nest Studio) for a pressing pad. I’ve been wanting one for the new cutting table, and how wonderful to find one! I modified her original idea to fit my needs, and to fit my personality. Not that I’m ‘lazy’ or anything, I just seem to seek out the shortcuts. I won’t try to repeat the instructions from that post, but just encourage you to check it out for more detailed instructions. I’ll just show you my modifications here.
As I said, I’m not exactly lazy . . . maybe impatient is a better word. I didn’t want to take the time to do this the way the original instructions said, so I opted for a pillowcase-style of covering. I measured my table top (32 inches), and added 4 inches on each side for the flaps I wanted. Why would I want flaps? To put the velcro on – my table top has a bit of a slick finish, and I didn’t want that pad to travel to all parts of the table while I was trying to use it. I used batting I’d found at a yard sale last summer. I never pass up batting at yard sales! That stuff is SPENDY! And when I got it home and unrolled it, I discovered it was an old padding from an ironing board. Well, that was pretty cool – I’d had big visions of redoing my ironing board but never got around to doing it.
The batting was only 18 inches wide at the widest point, though. I’d wanted to make this pad at least 20 inches wide, but I gotta work with what I’ve got. So 18 inches it is. I had a huge piece of this flowered cotton fabric (another yard sale find – woo hoo!!), so I just laid the padding out and wrapped the fabric around it, like a pillow case, and cut it to that size. I left a generous seam allowance of about 1/2 inch, just to be sure I had enough to not bunch the batting up. Nothing like eyeballing a seam allowance, eh? Oh well, I wanted to finish this before midnight-thirty next week, so no real measuring got done. AND no pinning. Yeah, not a real professional job . . . definitely not how I’d do it were it for someone else. But just for myself, and since I had been sew-deprived for so long . . . well, you’ll forgive me this one sloppy job, right?
I sewed all the way around the padding, just to hold it in place. I then folded the ends of the flaps about 2 inches, and this time I did use pins. I cut little strips of the fuzzy side of sew-on velcro, and put them on each side of the flap. I sewed the flap seam shut, at the same time sewing those little strips on. Then on the bottom side of my table, I attached a strip of the hook side of adhesive-backed velcro.
Well, I’d like to report victory and great success with this project. So I will.
Except for one small, teeny, little detail. The adhesive velcro wasn’t so adhesive. Seems the finish on the table is a little too slick for the glue to stick well. I found both strips on the floor the next morning, all curled up in a velcro-fetal position, whining about being rejected by that city-slick table. There was a solution to the problem, though. Hubby suggested I stick thumbtacks into the strips to hold them on. I took my trusty fixin’ tool (my hammer) and a handful of thumbtacks and nailed ‘em down. They’re still there. I’d say the velcro and the table have ironed out their differences (*groan*) and are now totally compatible.
So there’s “The rest of the story,” as some famous person was famous for saying, and many other less famous people are known to repeat. often. Thanks so much for stopping by and swappin’ howdies, and for taking this one final tour of the new sewing room. There WILL be new paint in there at some future point, Lord willing.